Quantcast

Gadgets cobracd900

Published on September 16th, 2014 | by Greg

0

A Dash Cam To Serve And Protect: Cobra Drive CDR 900

When you hit the road, there are plenty of risks: other drivers, the road itself, mother Nature, not to mention pesky speed traps. There are only so many things you can do to mitigate them, since potholes and weather happen. Beyond regular maintenance, it’s important to get decent tires and brakes, as having the right equipment is a good way to protect not only one of your most expensive assets, but also your personal safety.

We’ve long trusted Cobra radar detectors and other automotive gear, and now they’ve got another way to protect yourself- the Cobra Drive CDR 900 Dash Cam. Like many specialty cameras, it shares similarities with others- it could almost serve as a sports or action camera, thanks to it’s small size and portability, plus the solid optics and wide angle 160-degree view. Of course, there are some unique needs that your automobile has that make it different than, say, a surfboard or a skateboard. The suction mount, for instance, is pretty easy to install and seems durable, and the cigarette light adapter for power ensures you don’t need to worry about batteries (though there is a battery just in case as well).

This little guy can shoot too- and not just in 1080 high-definition, but even in what they call 1296P Super HD, both at 30 frames per second. And, like many other cameras, it uses microSD cards, and helpfully zcomes with an 8GB memory card included (though you can always add your own with more space if you need). Thanks to the loop recording feature, you don’t need to worry about running out of space- the CDR 900 will simply start from the beginning again and record infinitely. And, of course, the main reason to have a dash camera is to help in case of an accident or incident. That’s why there is a motion sensor (of perhaps limited use in real-world situations), but better yet a three-axis G-sensor to detect acceleration or collision and capture and protect important footage.

Whether it’s a giant bear that suddenly steps into the road or a Mario Kart zooming by, you’ll be able to grab footage. And share it too- there’s wifi connectivity built-in and a cloud mode that allows you to watch from anywhere, and you’re even able to directly connect with your Android or iPhone smartphone and use the app to watch a live feed or check out the recordings. If you, for some reason, need up to four cameras active, the app supports that too. There’s a GPS port for future support via an accessory, and it offers better night and low-light capabilities than most competitors, though headlights will still be blinding. The screen is easy to read, though controls a little tough at times. The family includes a pretty wide array of models to fit a variety of price points, and this is one of their higher-end models. Expect to spend around $200 or so, online and in stores, well worth the price for the solid image quality and feature set.

Tags: , , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑