Quantcast

Travels victorinox

Published on May 8th, 2015 | by Greg

0

Go Global With The Victorinox Spectra 2.0 Dual-Access Carry-On

If you’re heading abroad for a week, you need to check some luggage. But if you simply need to pack a pair of shoes, a few changes of clothing, and your toiletries, then you can manage with a carry-on- and avoid the hassles, the worries about losing your bag, and the fees. Chances are, you’ll also want to bring a laptop with you, and probably bring a computer bag, wear out your shoulders. Or you could find another, better option.

The Victorinox Spectra 2.0 Dual-Access Global Carry-On is a fully-loaded roller bag, featuring eight total wheels and a sheer seven pounds. It’s received plenty of positive press, including the Red Dot Award for Design Excellence last year and was even named 2014 Best Luggage by Travel + Leisure. They offer a few different pieces in the line, a complete family, including the unusual extra-capacity wider US-capacity for travelers who are planning to stay domestic.

Like plenty of others, it’s made from break-resistant polycarbonate, but this one feels smooth to the touch thanks to a stylish, scratch-resistant matte finish. There are quite a few nice touches, like the corner guards to protect against the usual knocks, and a pull-up handle with three different positions (versus the two that are more typical). And there’s the traditional TSA-approved lock so you can keep your items safe without having to worry about screeners breaking open your bags. A zippered mesh divider splits up the bag without taking up much room, but the coolest part is the unique front-access door, which you can use to stash your laptop (and it’s well-padded, with several cute sleeves and pockets).

Victorinox gear has always held up well for us, but they offer a ten-year warranty just in case. There’s even a Bag Tracking program too, that we didn’t get a chance to put to the test, but promises to reunite you with your Spectra 2.0 no matter where in the world it may end up. We did test out most every other aspect, including hauling 25 pounds up stairs, and dropping the bag to see how the wheels perform. The great news: it’s seriously durable. The Spectra 2.0 isn’t the lightest bag we’ve seen, and the quick-access compartment does reduce the available space a bit. But it’s a sexy, stable piece of gear that will hold up through just about any journey. Available in a few different colors, including black, white, and red, ours was a classy limited-edition blue. Expect to spend around $350, online or in stores, well worth it to have a convenient way to get your laptop off of your shoulders.

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑