Quantcast

Travels sphere

Published on August 14th, 2015 | by Greg

0

Wheeling Around With The Samsonite Silhouette Sphere 2

Have bag, will travel. It’s a sentiment that is oft-repeated, but bears consideration the next time that you’re planning a vacation. After all, a suitcase can be the difference between a lovely trip and a very bad day, depending on whether it makes it to your destination safely, contents intact. And every suitcase relies on at least four points of failure, which are forced to carry the weight of the bag over rocky sidewalks and rough ground. Wheels are critical, even though under regular conditions you might barely notice them.

But wheels are one of the original inventions, and it’s hard to find a way to improve them. Samsonite has find a way, with their new Silhouette Sphere 2 hardside collection. We tried out the 22-inch Spinner suitcase, a piece of luggage that can fit into most any overhead bin thanks to it’s unique tapered shape. It’s 8.5 pounds but feels pretty light on it’s feet- certainly not the lightest bag that we’ve seen, but we never noticed. In fact, it rolled smoothly and felt well-balanced even when fully loaded, plus was simple to lift up with solid handles. The primary handle felt reinforced, able to handle the full weight of the bag when extended, a necessary function when you’re forced to run up and down stairs.

We tested it out not over a weekend jaunt or even a couple of business trips, but a lengthy multi-week, multi-destination European journey. Elevators were basically non-existent, there were plenty of cobblestones, awkward staircases, and wet patches. While many wheels might lose traction, slipping and sliding a bit, these kept steady even during rain. That’s due to the interesting design of the multi-directional split spherical tires, which look immediately different at a glance. They’re steadier, larger, and roll with less friction, plus spin freely making it a breeze to roll the Sphere 2 around. We’ve liked other Samsonite luggage before- but these new wheels definitely impressed us.

The interior was great too- WetPak pockets give you a place to safely store and seal your damp bathing suit without worrying about the rest of your clothing. Zipper pulls were hefty, and the zippers themselves were larger than most other suitcases- though we did notice they tended to be more difficult to open due the siding. Made from Bayer Makrolon polycarbonate, it didn’t show much in the way of scuff marks and not a single scratch despite some serious mileage. A 10-year warranty should give you peace of mind as well. One downside though- Samsonite tested out a new gel-infused textured handle, and the handle itself feels great- but the cover of the gel started pilling after the first few days, where the material gets fuzzy in a slightly-annoying way. Available now, online and in stores, expect to spend under $200 for the Sphere 2 22″ Spinner.

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑