Quantcast

Gadgets 5921842654

Published on July 21st, 2016 | by Greg

0

Peak Design’s 13-Inch Photo-Friendly Everyday Messenger

Most photographers know the struggle- amongst the millions of different sizes and styles on the market, there are a lot of copycats and imitators, and few original designs. The majority of the available options are over-the-shoulder square-shaped bags like the kind you’ve probably seen and used for decades, and there are plenty of backpacks out there too and even some suitcase roller bags. If you’re dealing with multiple camera bodies and lenses, you’ll need something bigger but for everyone else we found a more attractive and comfortable alternative.

The Peak Design Everyday Messenger started out life as a Kickstarter project, and quickly became the most funded bag ever on the site and has won a ton of awards since it’s release. Part of the reason- it doesn’t look like a camera bag, making you a less likely target for thieves. The original was a 15-inch bag, and as you might expect, could fit up a 15″ laptop. But perhaps you’re like us, and mostly carry a smaller Macbook Air, Chromebook, or even a tablet. Peak Design has your back, and decided to offer a new, slightly-smaller edition- the 13-inch model that we’ve been testing out in New York City over the past few weeks.

Inside the bag are a pair of interesting dividers that they call FLEX-FOLD, inspired by origami, that can help protect and separate your gear. The main internal compartment is big enough for a full-frame DSLR with a couple of lenses and your necessary accessories like filters, batteries, and memory cards and there is a rear laptop pocket too. We liked that the shell is weatherproof, but the most interesting element might be the clasp and we know that is a pretty unusual thing to say. The MagLatch closure looks familiar at first glance, but the metal latch has a few different positions depending on how much stuff is in your bag, and it’s magnetic so it stays in place with no need for Velcro or buttons and allows easy use with a single hand.

They’ve thought of most everything- a reinforced bottom, a very adjustable shoulder strap, and a grab handle for easy carrying. Some may wish an elastic pocket or more dividers or extra padding, but there are dual side pockets and additional padding would add weight and bulk. The Peak Design Everyday Messenger comes in either heritage tan or charcoal (as tested), and is available online and in stores for around $219.95.

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑