Quantcast

Travels incase-icon2

Published on October 3rd, 2016 | by Greg

0

Incase ICON Backpack: Laptop (And Back) Friendly

Laptop computers have become indispensable parts of everyday life, no matter what your career or whether you prefer Mac, PC, or Linux. You’ll want yours on hand whenever you commute to the office or travel on vacation, and that means you’ll also need a way to carry it around. There’s no perfect solution- some jobs and trips will be better with carry-on wheeled bags, while bike messengers might prefer an over-the-shoulder option.

But for many people, a backpack is the most natural way to pack your laptop- like the Incase ICON Backpack, which can fit up to a 15-inch MacBook Pro. It’s more professional than ‘back to school’, more mature than your average rucksack, and more durable than most others on the market. The somewhat-unusual design separates the space into two compartments, and keeps the bottom fairly flat so you can set it down without it flopping over like so many backpacks do.

The shoulder straps are well-padded, with a sternum strap to help keep them tight and snug, and their placement means the bag sits well on your back. That, in turn, leads to a much better overall experience wearing the ICON than the competition- it’s simply more comfortable over longer days, with a more pleasant weight distribution. The rear is well-padded too, with channels for ventilation so your back stays dry. Like most decent packs, this one includes organizer pockets to hold tech accessories and other small items, and they’re both conveniently placed and sufficient for just about everything you might need.

Incase also produces a slim version that shaves off an inch in a couple of dimensions if you are looking for something a little thinner. This one is already fairly tight, though, for those who are used to packing for a weekend or have a bunch of classes and need to lug around stacks of books. It lacks a water bottle pocket but does have some storage on the sides, and there is a cable port for easy listening while your phone or music player stays safe. And the ICON comes in a pretty wide range of five colors- we tested out the black, but green, grey, red, and navy options are also available. Expect to spend around up to $199 for the Incase ICON, online and in stores.

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑